Hakka cuisine is a cooking style of Hakka people. Hakka style has become very popular here and we Indians have developed a Indo Chinese Cuisine (though its far different from original Hakka cuisine).Hakka noodles is a Chinese preparation where boiled noodles are stir fried with sauces and vegetables or meats. A hakka noodle is made from unleavened dough( rice or wheat flour) that is cooked in a boiling liquid.
This is popular street food and kid’s first choice while eating out. There are many variations for Hakka noodles, some recipes use spicy tomato based chutney too. You can add sauces of your choice tomato, chilly, soya, pepper or tomato chilly sauce and even a pinch of ajinomoto. In this recipe I did skip soya sauce and made it more kids friendly adding less chilly sauce.
In a wok add oil, saute garlic,spring onion (white bulb chopped), now add carrot, capsicum and fry for a minute on high flame. Now add cabbage and in high flame fry for 1 minute. Add tomato sauce, chilly sauce, pepper and salt . Add the cooked noodles, spring onion and toss well.
* Noodles should not be over cooked. Drain the noodles which will help to remove the starch from it and add 1 tsp of oil and keep aside.
*Secret to get the perfect noodles – Toss the vegetables on high flame. Cook in small quantity on the larger burner in a large wok (if you don’t have wok use a kadai, make sure its not a heavy bottom one).
*If you are planning to prepare for party and need large quantity . Cook noodles and chop vegetables. Take less quantity each time and Cook twice or thrice. You can do in the same wok . Cooking time will take only 10 minutes.
*You can also add soya sauce, more chilly sauce and ajinomoto.
Vegetable Hakka NoodlesPrint This
- Vegetable Noodles (plain) _ 3 cup
- Mixed vegetables (cut into 1 inch long strips) _ 2 cup
- Pepper _ 1&1/2 tsp
- Tomato Sauce _ 1&1/2 tsp
- Chilly sauce _ 1&1/2 tsp
- Garlic crushed _ 1 tsp
- Salt _ as needed
- Spring Onion( finely chopped ) _ 1/4 cup
- In a big sauce pan add enough water bring to boil. Add noodles and boil for 3 minutes. Drain the noodles,and 1 tsp of oil and keep aside. Noodles should not be over cooked. Mean while cut vegetables(including the white part of spring onion) into thin stripes, finely chop spring onion and keep aside.
- In a wok add oil, saute garlic, Spong onion ( white bulb part), now add carrot, capsicum and fry for two minutes on high flame. Add cabbage and in high flame fry for 1 minute.
- Add tomato sauce, chilly sauce, pepper and salt .
- Add the cooked noodles, spring onion and toss well on high flame.