Syrian Christians, or Mar Thoma Christians, of Kerala have their own cuisine. A favourite dish of Kerala Christians is chicken stew. This recipe is a vegetarian version of stew.
Kerala style vegetable stew is vegetables cooked in coconut milk gravy and adding some mild spices to it. A very rich yet subtle dish to be served for breakfast. In a pressure cooker add vegetables with salt and thin coconut milk (2nd extract) . Cook vegetables for 1 whistle. Mean while in a small frying pan heat coconut oil ,add ginger and green chilly. Fry in medium flame. Once the cooker cools open to add fried ginger and green chillies with thick coconut milk. Switch the gas to low flame and simmer for few seconds (do not boil) and switch off the flame. Finally add coconut oil mix well .
*Add vegetables of your choice try variations by adding cauliflower, boiled and squeezed soya chunks etc.
*Vegetables can be cooked by adding only water ,and finally adding thick milk alone .
*You can prepare fresh coconut milk by grinding grated coconut in and extracting thick milk and adding lukewarm water to it exact thin milk.
*Switch off the gas and add coconut oil this will give a tempting aroma to the dish.
FOR Kerala Appam Recipe Read here.
Vegetable StewPrint This
- Mixed Vegetables _ 1 1/2 cup( Potatoes, carrot, beans)
- Green Chilly and ginger finely chopped _ 1 1/2 tbsp
- Shallots – 8-10 nos.
- Coconut Milk thick( 1st extract) _ 1/2 cup
- Coconut Milk thin( 2nd extract) _ 1 cup
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Cardamom – 2-3
- Black pepper cons- 2-3
- cinnamon – a small piece
- cloves – 2
- Sugar (optional) – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves _ few
- Coconut Oil _ 1 tbsp
- Salt _ as needed.
3. Mean while in a small frying pan heat oil ,add ginger and green chilly, shallots, cinnamon , cardamom, cloves, black pepper .Inn medium flame fry till the fragrant and onions become translucent. Once the cooker cools down add fried ginger, green chillies, shallots and spices with thick coconut milk. Switch the gas in low flame and simmer for few seconds( do not boil).
4. Finely powder 2 cardamom with sugar(or use cardamom powder) and switch off the flame.
5.Finally add coconut oil mix well .